Friday, April 25, 2008

The Queen of Tejano Music

The Queen of Tejano Music by Nightcrawlerlover
Fandoms: Yu-Gi-Oh, Selena
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4021283/1/The_Queen_of_Tejano_Music

Have you ever wondered what some awesome crossovers would be? How about Yugioh x Selena? Well, then, your dreams have come true!

Our story follows Yami Yugi as he attends Selena's funeral...

"I, Yami, stood in the crowd as they lined in front of the closed casket. I couldn’t believe what had happened. Just two days ago Selena Quintanilla-Perez had gone to the Days Inn motel in Corpus Christi, Texas, to discuss missing financial papers with Yolanda Saldivar, a former employee and founder of the Selena fan club in Texas. Now, she was dead, killed by a bullet from Yolanda’s gun. So heartbroken was I that I expressed a desire to attend her funeral. Selena’s family, who knew me well, gave their consent, as did Chris, Selena’s husband.

As I moved with them up to the casket, I felt a sense of foreboding. I remembered it well…

“I can’t put the gun down!” sobbed Yolanda.

“Why? Tell me why, Yolanda.”

“Because I’m ashamed of what I’ve done,” wept Yolanda.

A few moments passed. Then Yolanda said,

“Look at what I’ve done to my best friend!”

I was pulled out of my musings by Abraham Quintanilla, Jr.’s voice saying,

“Yami?”"

Oh, this is also a songfic.

Anyway, Yami is also rather creepy:

"I brought my hands out from behind my back. In them was a red rose, long-stemmed.

“For you, Selena,” I whispered. I lay the rose so it was almost up to her throat. Then I put my hands together in a praying gesture, bowed my head, then bent and kissed her dead lips. Then I moved over to where I was to sit with Selena’s family."

And he does this in front of her husband, too.
Yugi then comforts a small child:

"I would never forget Selena. Her voice…the way she reminded me of Christine Daae from “The Phantom of the Opera” when singing…the way she put things into words very phenomenally…her smile…the way she looked good no matter what she wore, and encouraged me that I looked handsome as well no matter what I wore…

Again my reflections of Selena were interrupted by a tugging on my sleeve. I looked down; a child of ten was looking at me with his beautiful brown eyes. He wore a white shirt and blue shorts. His black hair was swept back.

I noticed there were tears in his eyes.

“I miss…her,” he said, pointing to the coffin. I nodded, then put my arm around him as he turned back to me.

I leaned down and whispered,
“I do too.”

Then the child climbed onto my lap and hugged me. I hugged him back.

In our own way, we mourned the loss of the Queen of Tejano music. I would have my memories of her forever."

But wait, it gets better:

"When I attended the trial of Yolanda Saldivar, I looked at her face. She was weeping inside, but I felt anger towards her. If this had happened back when I was Pharaoh, I would've sentenced her to the dungeon for committing a horrible, treacherous act. She was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. As for me, I now visit Selena's family often. Chris offered to teach me how to play the guitar, and I accepted. Soon I caught on, and I played like I had been doing it for years. One night I went to the Days Inn motel, taking my guitar in my black guitar case, and slipped inside the room where Selena had met her fate. A guard with black hair and green eyes spotted me; he said I should go in.
"I listen to her music; something inside told me to let you in," he explained to me. I smiled, a smile that hadn't been there for days, then walked over to the bed, sat down, and opened my guitar case.

I pulled out my black guitar, then rested it on my lap. I strategically placed my hands where they would go, then with a guitar pick in hand, began to play.

As the guard outside listened, I heard him weeping. I knew how he felt. I continued to play into the night, knowing that Selena could hear me.

Oh Selena, I will always miss you, as will your fans."

And so, guitar-playing Yami travels back to Japan, playing his guitar and card games in Selena's memory.

The Verdict

While it's a crossover you wouldn't expect, it's just too damn sappy and cheesy. Ick, maple-flavored cheese. 1/5

1 comment:

Richter said...

This reminds me of the scene in Persona 3, where Akihiko starts talking to his dead buddy out of shock or something, but more lame and with a stupid crossover.

Actually, it's really nothing like that. Maybe I'm trying to make it seem better by comparing it to something good. That's not healthy.

I had no idea Yami, an Egyptian Pharoah, or something, had such a taste for Tejano, or such a knack for the guitar. Strum that banjo, asian boy. Strum that banjo.